Part two in our edible Christmas Gift Recipes series is a delicious crunchy little biscuit. They go really well with ice creams and jellies and are perfect to and are perfect to have when having your friends for a Christmas cup of coffee!
COFFEE AND HAZELNUT MACAROONS
4ozs (110g) hazelnuts, skinned
8oz (225g) caster sugar
2 heaped teaspoon ground rice
2 egg whites
2 level tablespoons powdered instant coffee
2 baking sheets and some edible rice paper
Pre-heat oven to 150oC/Gas Mark 2
- Grind the hazelnuts to a coarse meal in a food processor. Do not over grind as the hazelnuts will become very oily.
- Put in a bow with the sugar and ground rice and mix well together
- Stir in the unbeaten egg whites and coffee powder and continue to mix to a stiffish paste.
- Line two baking sheets with the rice paper and put teaspoonfuls of the biscuit mixture on them, leaving room in between for expansion during cooking
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until crisp on top.
- Leave to cool completely before lifting the biscuits from the baking sheet.
- Store in an air tight tin.